About Us

Originally set up as Warrington Deaf and Dumb Society in 1885 as a branch of Liverpool Benevolent Deaf and Dumb Society. We then became independent in 1912 and set up the very first โ€œmeeting roomsโ€ at 10 Legh Street, Warrington.

In 1921, we appointed our first paid employee, David Fyfe, a Deaf man from Kilmarnock, Scotland. David Fyfe worked tirelessly to raise funds to support the community work he did.

This work involved:

  • Visiting the sick
  • Helping Deaf people to find work
  • Acting as the Preacher for regular Sunday services amongst the town.
  • Acting as an advocate for Deaf people and their families

David Fyfe was then responsible for the purchase of 13 Wilson Patten Street in 1929. David used to live on the top floor of the property with his wife. Fyfe retired in 1951, after 30 years of service to the Deaf community.


The expansion of Warrington Deaf Society

Throughout the 1980โ€™s and 1990โ€™s, Warrington Deaf Society became a branch of
Cheshire Deaf Society following the acquisition of 11 Wilson Patten Street. Warrington Deaf Society then obtained a Lottery Grant which allowed us to rebuild part of 11 Wilson Patten Street as a Community Centre.

This rebuild and Grant allowed us to merge the two sides of the building together and create an expansion which is the building we see today. The newly refurbished building was opened on 14th September 2004, following two years of hard work.

The building was opened by HRH The Countess of Wessex along with Fred Barlow (then Chairman of Warrington Deaf Society).

How we know Warrington Deaf Centre now

Now, named Warrington & District Society for Deaf People, we pride ourselves on the Centre thriving to support the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community in Warrington and itโ€™s surrounding areas, in connection with many partners across the town.


Chairperson: Mike Bryan | Registered Charity No. 1092937